SOCIAL JUSTICE COMMITTEE
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
The mission of the Social Justice Committee is to foster respect and appreciation for all people; strengthen women and families by cultivating leadership and promoting advocacy; educate people on issues impacting them such as voting rights, health care, violence reduction, and safe neighborhoods; and build strong communities through empowerment of women and girls. "
Past and planned activities:
- Held several Voter Registration Drives at various venues including a homeless shelter
- Sponsoring "Meet the Candidates" forums for local elections
- Educating the public on County, School Board, College District, and other governing bodies
- Partnering and collaborating with like-minded organizations to promote civic involvement
- Hosting forums to educate people on voting the whole ballot
- Educating on how to monitor activities of elected officials
- Monitoring of and opposition of voter suppression legislation
- Hosted a forum with the Neighborhood Police to concerning issues impacting community
- Educating the public on the "School to Prison Pipeline" system
- Engaging in activities directed at prevention of violence against women
- Issuing official statement concerning police use of excessive force